In order to get good fig fruit, fig tree pruning is important. Fig tree pruning improves fruit quality and protects the tree against diseases. Considering the British climate, the most suitable pruning time is expected for the Fig tree. If the fig tree is pruned, the fruit quality increases. Fig trees care is important for fruit yield. If the fig tree is newly planted, it should be pruned and maintained at regular intervals. Fig trees are pruned in summer and winter. Fig pruning in the winter in England After the trees have shed their leaves, during the entire rest period and Generally, pruning is done between January and February. In countries with a temperate climate as soon as the trees shed their leaves, pruning can be started from November. Fig pruning in the summer in England Figs can be pruned during the summer months. Figs are pruned in the summer months of May, June and July. More too much bending, bending, removing unnecessary branches, etc. pruning is done.
How to prune a fig tree in the UK?
In newly planted saplings, it is aimed to take the shape of the tree until it gives fruit. The purpose of pruning is to shape the tree. With shape pruning, a large number of good fruits are obtained by pruning at the desired height, properly, strongly and in a balanced way with each other. Pruning should be done softly in proportion to the strength of growth in trees. So strong growing tree light, normal growing tree medium, weak growing trees are pruned strongly.
Fig tree pruning; The fig sapling is pruned when the newly planted seedlings rise 1 meter from the ground. In order to form the first main branches that will shape the crown of the tree; from this chosen height and Write other shoots by leaving 3 – 5 suitable eyes close to the cut point (June). – in July) pruned in season. 3 – 5 skeletal main branches consisting of eyes selected during planting in the first winter pruning is selected. These main branches are distributed at an equal angle around the tree trunk and between them A distance of approximately 13 – 16 cm is left.
Again, every winter the voracious branches on the trunk of the tree should be removed. In this way the fifth or At the end of the sixth year, shape pruning was completed, the main branches were short, strong and balanced. an overgrown, hemispherical tree is obtained.
Is the fig tree pruned in the UK in summer and winter?
With crop pruning; By providing sufficient lighting and ventilation in the tree, it will yield products.
With the strong development of shoots, it is aimed to obtain better quality products. Branches and shoots to be diluted in crop pruning are cut from the bottom. dry branches, broken branches, diseased branches, twigs touching the ground, gluttonous twigs, too elongated formless arms and congested branches are removed. It should be noted that crop pruning should not be done too harshly. Otherwise the tree goes into exile a lot and the yield suddenly drops.
Why is the fig tree pruned in England?
· In order to prevent branch splitting in thick branch cuttings, cut from the lower part of the branch. After some cutting is done in the lower part, it is passed to the opposite upper side. the cut is completed, or the main cut first so that the weight of the branch does not cause the split. After 40-50 cm beyond the main place, the cut is made from the main place.
· One-year branches should be cut from the knuckle, and the core should not be exposed.
· Pruning residues should be collected and burned immediately, as they are carriers of diseases and pests.
· Sharp and clean tools should be used for pruning. Dilution pruning shears for pruning and thin branch cuttings, saw for thick branch cuttings should be used.
· The wounds resulting from cutting thick branches should be covered by applying the vaccine paste.
· When the tools to be used for pruning pass from tree to tree, bleach etc. should be sterilized with disinfectants.
If the fig tree is pruned well, the fruit quality will increase and the trees will grow healthy.