Dieffenbachia is a genus of evergreen plants in the Aroideae family, native to the tropical zone of the American continent. Dieffenbachia was named by Heinrich Wilhelm Schott, an Austrian botanist, after Josef Dieffenbach, the head gardener of the botanical gardens at Schoenbrunn Palace in Vienna. There are about 40 species of Diffenbachia in nature. The indoor diffenbahia is characterised by its rapid growth – some species can reach a height of two metres or more in five years. Diffenbachia is an evergreen plant with a strong trunk and beautiful leaves, which is the reason why the genus is prized in culture. The colour of the leaves differs from species to species: white, green, with stripes, spots, fringes and many other different varieties and shapes. If the conditions are right and the care is proper, the domestic diffenbahia can bloom – the flower is expressed by a cob covered with a greenish-white veil.
How to care for dieffenbachia flower?
If you provide it with optimum growing conditions, a new leaf plate will form every week. However, as the plant grows taller, the lower part of the stem becomes more bare. As a result, the plant loses its attractive appearance. Therefore, the top part will have to be cut off and rooted.
- How often is Dieffenbachia watered? It should be watered regularly. Water more abundantly in spring, summer and autumn. In winter, water in a moderate amount. Make sure that the soil does not dry out.
- Does dieffenbachia want light? A bright light is most beneficial. Direct sunlight can cause leaf scorch. In summer, it can be shaded. In fact, it can grow in the shade all year round, but the beauty and decorativeness of the leaves will be lost.
- How should dieffenbachia soil be? Grow the spotted diffenbahia in a special soil mixture in proportions: 4 parts turf, part leafy soil, part peat soil and part sand. Drainage must be provided in the pot. Drainage for the diffenbahia flower can be made from charcoal and brick chips.
- Does Dieffenbachia like moist environment? This plant is more suited to the moist environment and should be watered regularly. Maintain a humidity level of 60-70% during the growing season and 40% during the dormancy period in winter.
- Does Difenbahya want sun? At what temperature does it grow well? It does not tolerate to low or high temperatures. The suitable temperature range for growth is 18 – 27 ℃. The plant can tolerate a minimum temperature of 15 ℃, but the growth will slow down and the plant may suffer if the temperature is below 10 ℃.
- How to care for Difenbahya flowers? Diffenbahia do not need to be cut back except with damaged, yellowish old leaves or parts infested by pests and diseases. To avoid the plant growing too tall, the top buds can be cut back.
What are the diseases of the Difenbahya plant?
Diffenbahia suffer most often from the spider mite that appears on the underside of the leaves and weaves a fine spider web on them. To remove the spider mite, the plant is sprayed with a special solution and the leaves should be wiped from the underside with a solution of green soap and then washed with warm water after a few hours. The plant can be infested by a scab. To get rid of it, diffenbahia should also be sprayed with a special solution, and the insects removed with a soft cloth. Another insect pest is aphids. Treat in the same way with a special product and, after a few days, cover the soil with polythene and give the flower a good wash. How often do Dieffenbachia bloom >>
How is the Difenbahya plant reproduced?
The main propagation methods for diffenbahia are the stem and bud cuttings, which means parts of the plant with and without leaves. Each method has its own subtleties. Stem cuttings with leaves, for example, need more moisture and will need to be sprayed or set up in the greenhouse. Cuttings without leaves are easier and quicker to root. Should I cut the flowers off my Dieffenbachia? What do you do with dieffenbachia flowers? Is it common for dieffenbachia to flower? What is a dieffenbachia node? How do you trim a dieffenbachia plant?
Leave a Reply